The Giant Co., a Carlisle, Pennsylvania-based retailer, is taking part in Hunger Action Month to help local food banks and pantries provide meals to families in need, a number that has grown significantly over the past few months due to the pandemic. Drawing on the essence of its new brand platform, For Today’s Table, throughout September, The Giant Co. will donate food, time and money to help ensure that families facing food insecurity are able to gather around the table and connect over a meal.
Hunger Action Month is the Feeding America nationwide network of food banks’ awareness campaign designed to mobilize the public to take action on the issue of hunger. According to Feeding America, the coronavirus pandemic has caused even more families across the country to struggle with hunger, estimating that 54 million people may be food insecure in 2020, including 18 million children.
“Food banks are reporting as much as a 50 percent increase in need in recent months, making donations more critical than ever before,” said Matt Simon, chief marketing officer of The Giant Co. “For Today’s Table is grounded in the importance of families coming together over a meal to make meaningful connections, but for families facing food insecurity, it’s not always easy. Thanks to the generosity of our customers and supplier partners and the dedication of our team members and food bank partners, we’ll be able to fill more plates than ever before, making a difference in the lives of families counting on us.”
Giant Co. customers invited to share on social media
Throughout September, The Giant Co. is inviting customers to share a picture of their family connecting over a meal on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. For each picture shared with #ForTodaysTable and #GIANT, The Giant Co. will donate 100 meals to neighbors in need, with a goal of donating 1 million meals through Feeding America by the end of September.
$500,000 for local food banks, pantries
The Giant Co. also will donate a total of $500,000 to 20 local food banks and pantries across four states to provide funding to address the increased need. Recipient food banks include Blair County Community Action Program, Blue Ridge Area Food Bank, Central Pennsylvania Food Bank, Chester County Food Bank, Downtown Daily Bread, Dubois Food Pantry, Family & Community Services of Delaware Co., Helping Harvest Food Bank, Lebanon County Christian Ministries, Loaves and Fishes, Manna on Main St., Maryland Food Bank, New Hope Ministries, Perry County Food Bank, Philabundance, Project Share, Second Harvest, Sharing Excess, Water Street Mission and York County Food Bank.
Other ways customers can partner with The Giant Co. to support local food banks during Hunger Action Month include:
- The company’s bi-annual in-store signature Bag Hunger campaign. Throughout September, customers can donate at the register across all Giant and Martin’s stores. Members of Choice Rewards can also donate points to benefit their local food bank.
- Beginning this month and through early next year, The Giant Co.’s reusable bag program is focused on hunger. With each bag retailing for 99 cents, 50 cents from the sale of each goes to local food bank partners.
- From Sept. 11-24, whenever customers buy $20 in participating products from Bimbo, Campbell’s Snacks, Chobani, Coke, Kellogg’s, KIND, Kraft Heinz, Land O Lakes, Method, Mondelez, Nestle, Pepsi, Proctor & Gamble and White Castle, $5 will be donated on their behalf to Feeding America.
- Partnering with Unilever, $500,000 in product will be donated to Philabundance to distribute to Philadelphia hunger agencies.
- Giant Co. volunteers will help to assemble and distribute 2,000 backpacks containing food for family meals to Philadelphia’s Parkside Community on Sept. 15 and Sept. 16.
“Feeding America estimates that an additional 17.1 million people could face hunger as a result of the pandemic,” said Lauren Biedron, VP of corporate partnerships at Feeding America. “Hunger Action Month is a time when people across America stand against hunger. We are thankful for The Giant Co.’s commitment to helping our neighbors who may not know where they will find their next meal.”
The Giant Co. is a company of Ahold Delhaize USA.