Whole Foods Market is relocating its store in Springfield, Virginia, from 8402 Old Keene Mill Road to 6426 Springfield Plaza. The new 49,499-square-foot store will open Oct. 4, replacing the previous site, which is more than 25 years old.
Designed with cool tones and an open atmosphere, the new location is double the size of the original store, allowing room for additional amenities such as a meat department prepared foods bar and expanded product assortment.
To mark the occasion, Whole Foods will give a refrigerated van to the Northern Virginia Food Rescue. It is donated through Whole Foods Market’s Nourishing Our Neighborhoods program, which expands the capacity and capability for community-based food rescue organizations to transport food.
Features of the Springfield Plaza store include:
- An array of certified organic, Sourced for Good produce, plus offerings from 14 local farms, including apple totes from Hess Brother’s Fruit Co., Asian pears from Mountain View Orchards and microgreens from AeroFarms.
- Specialty department with local items including artisan crackers from Firehook Bakery, the Virginia Chutney Co. and Picnic Gourmet Spreads. The cheese counter is overseen by trained cheesemongers who can offer recommendations and create custom boards.
- Full-service seafood counter featuring jumbo lump crab cakes, local and seasonal finfish and local smoked fish from Ivy City Smokehouse. Additional local options include crabmeat from Clayton Seafood Co., oysters and condiments from Rappahannock Oyster Co. and fresh fish from George’s Seafood. All offerings are either sustainable, wild-caught or responsibly farmed.
- Full-service meat counter, with butchers available to cut steaks and poultry to order. Features include dry-aged beef – aged in-house for up to 28 days – and sausage made fresh daily that will include pork, chicken, turkey and lamb options. Local options include grass-fed beef from Grayson Natural Farms.
- Expanded prepared foods section featuring fresh sushi from Genji, made-to-order sandwiches, full-service deli, three self-serve food bars and a self-serve pizza station with vegan and alternative flour crust options.
- Bakery department offering made-in-house bread and seasonal treats, including Apple Cider Donuts and Pumpkin Butter Chai Cake. Local offerings include baklava from Al Bohsali, cookies from Whisked and cakes from Sweet and Natural.
On opening morning, customers can receive complimentary coffee and breakfast bites. The first 300 customers will receive a limited-edition tote bag and a Secret Saver coupon featuring offers up to $100 off.
Read more Whole Foods Market news from The Shelby Report.