Nominated by their wholesalers, nine members of the Independent Grocers Alliance (IGA) have been named 2024 U.S. Retailers of the Year.
Presented annually to grocers who have best provided leadership and excellence in their communities, the honor is the highest IGA gives to its retailer members.
The 2024 Retailers of the Year are:
- John and Chad Cropper of Crop’s Fresh Marketplace in Downington, Pennsylvania;
- Wholesaler: Bozzuto’s
- Jim Floyd, Gainhart Samuelson and Bruce Westre of Hammer & Wikan in Petersburg, Alaska;
- Wholesaler: J.B. Gottstein
- Tim Forshee of Price Less IGA No. 484 in Bowling Green, Kentucky;
- Wholesaler: Houchens Food Group
- Judy Gabriele and Don Gabriele of Nemenz IGA in Struthers, Ohio;
- Wholesaler: Laurel Grocery Co.
- Rob Hilleary of Pocahontas IGA in Marlinton, West Virginia;
- Wholesaler: Merchant Distributors Inc.
- Debbie Jacques Malone of KJ’s Market in Greenwood, South Carolina;
- Wholesaler: W. Lee Flowers
- Dan Holt and Joe Lauria of Holt’s IGA in Fayetteville, Tennessee;
- Wholesaler: Associated Wholesale Grocers
- Jeff Maurer and Kristie Maurer of Maurer’s Market IGA in Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin;
- Wholesaler: UNFI
- Ben Painter and Greg Wasley of SPD Markets in Grass Valley, California;
- Wholesaler: C&S Wholesale Grocers
“The 2024 Retailers of the Year showcase excellence across every dimension of a thriving community grocer, offering a diverse range of local and fresh products,” said IGA CEO John Ross.
“These outstanding retailers not only foster meaningful connections within their communities but also demonstrate exemplary leadership as employers, embodying the spirit of success in independent grocery enterprises.”
Ross and SVP of Retail and Business Development Doug Fritsch will visit each store in February to get a feel for how the retailer interacts with employees, customers and the community.
Based on the visits, each Retailer of the Year will receive additional recognition for their accomplishments March 11 at the IGA Awards of Excellence Ceremony.
Held in Las Vegas during The NGA Show, the ceremony will recognize fellow IGA Retailers of the Year from other countries in addition to select Red Oval partners and wholesalers. One of the IGA USA Retailers of the Year will be named IGA USA International Retailer of the Year.
About The Independent Grocers Alliance
The Independent Grocers Alliance (IGA) was founded in 1926, bringing together independent grocers across the U.S. to ensure that the family-owned local grocery store remained strong in the face of growing chain competition.
IGA is the world’s largest voluntary supermarket network with aggregate worldwide retail sales of over $40 billion per year. The alliance includes more than 6,200 stores globally, with operations in 46 U.S. states and nearly 25 countries, commonwealths and territories.
Read more independent store news from The Shelby Report.