Authors David Zinczenko and Matt Goulding revealed a definitive list of the “20 Worst Supermarket Foods in America,” as featured in the updated and expanded “Eat This, Not That! All New Supermarket Survival Guide”—the guidebook for navigating the American supermarket.
To compile the list of the most caloric and nutritionally devoid supermarket options from across the country, Zinczenko and Goulding, who spent hours interviewing leading nutritionists and industry experts, scoured grocery store aisles for surprising nutritional pitfalls and their calorie-wise counterparts.
“The average supermarket contains more nutritional minefields than ever before,” said Zinczenko, author of “Eat This, Not That!” series and Editorial Director/Editor-in-Chief of Men’s Health. “Whether items are masquerading as healthy or the food is a more obvious indulgence, like Marie Callender’s Cheesy Chicken Pot Pie, with its first listed ingredients being chicken fat, oils, cream and cheese—careful consideration and proper research always produces a better swap.”
To come up with the “20 Worst Supermarket Foods in America,” the authors evaluated calorie counts and other nutritional values such as fat, saturated fat, sodium and added sugar across 20 specific categories, including condiments, cereals, canned goods, frozen entrées, ice cream and others. After analyzing nutrition labels and ingredient lists, they came up with 20 grocery aisle “atrocities”—one within each category—which are among the worst supermarket items in America.
Topping the 2012 list is Marie Callender’s Cheesy Chicken Pot Pie, which includes 1,140 calories and 72 grams of fat—the calorie equivalent of nine 12-ounce bottles of Guinness Draught.
Top 10 worst supermarket foods:[star_list]
- Worst Packaged Food: Marie Callender’s Cheesy Chicken Pot Pie (1,140 calories)
- Worst Frozen Entrée: Hungry-Man Select Classic Fried Chicken (1,030 calories)
- Worst Frozen Pizza: DiGiorno Traditional Crust Supreme Pizza (790 calories)
- Worst Stir-Fry/Skillet: Stouffer’s Sautés For Two Steak Gorgonzola (730 calories)
- Worst Breakfast: Jimmy Dean Breakfast Bowls Pancakes & Sausage Links (710 calories)
- Worst Individual Snack: Hostess Chocolate Pudding Pie (520 calories)
- Worst Kids’ Meal: Lunchables with Juice, Nachos, Cheese Dip, plus Salsa (490 calories)
- Worst Pie: Marie Callender’s Southern Pecan Pie (450 calories)
- Worst Frozen Treat: Mrs. Fields Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich (450 calories)
- Worst Packaged Side: Pasta Roni Fettucine Alfredo (450 calories)[/star_list]