SpartanNash is once again offering the Double Up Food Bucks healthy food incentive program at 46 stores in Michigan. Since 2014, SpartanNash has been the only major grocery retail chain in Michigan with multiple stores participating in the Double Up program.
In addition to the 43 Family Fare, VG’s and ValuLand stores already participating in the Double Up program, SpartanNash has expanded the program to three additional stores in 2020, bringing better access to fresh fruits and vegetables to store guests in Cheboygan, Coldwater and Howell, Michigan.
SpartanNash says its participation in Double Up is a key component of the company’s corporate responsibility efforts because it encourages access to good, nutritious foods and supports local farmers.
Administered by Fair Food Network, Double Up Food Bucks enables Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) participants to earn free produce when they buy fresh fruits and vegetables with their SNAP benefit at participating retailers.
For each dollar of fresh produce SNAP customers purchase using their EBT Bridge Card and SpartanNash’s yes loyalty account (with the exception of ValuLand), an equivalent amount of dollars will be earned and placed on their yes account. Shoppers can then redeem the Double Up dollars for free fruits and vegetables at participating Family Fare and VG’s locations, with a maximum dollar-for-dollar match of $20 per day on their yes account.
ValuLand stores do not participate in the yes loyalty program. As a result, every time a SNAP customer purchases fresh fruits and vegetables at a participating ValuLand store using an EBT Bridge Card, the customer will get half of the produce for free, up to $20 a day.
“At SpartanNash, we are committed to partnering with local growers and producers, as well as building stronger communities with programs like Double Up Food Bucks,” SpartanNash SVP and GM, Corporate Retail Tom Swanson said. “We are proud to have offered Double Up in our stores for the past seven years, because it enables SNAP customers to increase their access to fresh fruits and vegetables and supports our local farmers—and it’s a real win-win for our communities as a whole.”
The Double Up produce incentive program is a national model for healthy food incentives active in 27 states with support from federal, state and private sources.
“We’re grateful for SpartanNash’s long-term partnership, bringing Double Up to its many customers and improving healthy food access in the broader community,” said Kate Krauss, executive director and chief operating officer of Fair Food Network. “We’re excited about SpartanNash’s role in helping us reach more families in every corner of the state as we launch Double Up’s expansion in 2020.”
In 2020, Double Up is available in more than 150 farmers markets, farm stands and other retailer outlets, as well as more than 100 full-service grocery stores, including many SpartanNash independent customers.
As of Jan. 12, Double Up is available at 36 Family Fare, seven VG’s and three ValuLand locations, including:
- Western Michigan
- Grand Rapids – 1225 Leonard NE
- Grand Rapids – 1415 E. Fulton Street
- Grand Rapids – 4325 Breton Road SE
- Holland – 1185 S. Washington
- Holland – 993 Butternut Drive
- Kentwood – 6127 Kalamazoo SE
- Sparta – 565 S. State Street
- Wyoming – 2900 Burlingame Avenue SW
- Southern Michigan
- Albion – 1406 North Eaton
- New for 2020: Coldwater – 410 N. Marshall
- Dowagiac – 56151 South M-51
- Hastings – 902 W. State Street
- Lakeview – 45 East Columbia
- Marshall – 15900 W. Michigan Avenue
- Paw Paw – 847 S. Kalamazoo Avenue
- Pennfield – 1603 Capital, NE
- Urbandale – 1525 W. Michigan Avenue
- Northern Michigan
- Boyne City – 430 N. Lake Street
- Cadillac – 602 S. Mitchell
- New for 2020: Cheboygan – 992 S. Main
- Gaylord – 829 W. Main
- Gladwin – 1204 State Street
- Grayling – 2470 S. I-75 Bus. Loop
- Harrison – 1570 N. Clare Avenue
- Houghton Lake – 3561 W. Houghton Lake Drive
- Mancelona – 619 N. Williams
- Manistee – 1057 US 31 South
- Midland – 2026 N. Saginaw
- Mio – 305 Morenci Avenue
- Oscoda – 5463 N. Huron Road
- Rogers City – 100 S. Bradley Highway
- Roscommon – 409 N. Fifth Street
- Rose City – 2626 N. M-33
- St. Ignace – 699 US 2
- Standish – 533 S. Main Street
- West Branch – 2206 S. M-76
- Caro – 1520 W. Caro
- Clio – 710 S. Mill
- Davison – 8503 Davison
- Genesee – 7461 N. Genesee
- New for 2020: Howell – 2400 W. Grand River
- Marine City – 6764 S. River
- Owosso – 1341 N. M-52
- Lansing – 1609 W Mount Hope
- Lansing – 3800 W Saginaw Street
- Leslie – 810 West Bellevue
Grand Rapids, Michigan-based SpartanNash is a Fortune 400 company whose core businesses include distributing grocery products to a diverse group of independent and chain retailers, its corporate-owned retail stores and U.S. military commissaries and exchanges, as well as premier fresh produce distribution and fresh food processing.